Thomas E. Liptak
Thomas E. Liptak
Thomas E. Liptak
Tom and his family are avid snow and water skiers, and he is a certified level II alpine ski instructor and a certified level I telemark ski instructor by the Professional Ski Instructors of America. In the warmer months, the Liptaks spend time on Canandaigua Lake.INFO +
A founding and managing partner of Kenney Shelton Liptak Nowak LLP, Tom has been a person injury defense lawyer for more than 30 years, handling all facets of insured and self-insured defense cases from suit commencement through trial. His experience and legal skills have led to successful results for the Firm’s clients in litigation involving automobile, premises and construction liability, professional malpractice claims, complex products liability and mass tort actions, including lead paint, toxic tort, and “sick building” syndrome claims, as well as sports/recreational/leisure liability claims. He is the co-Chair of the Firm’s Defense Practice Group.
In addition to managing KSLN, Tom is involved in many business groups and community projects. He currently serves as Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Committee for the Defense Research Institute. He is Vice President and founding member of the Board of Directors of the Chippewa Alliance, an organization of business executives, owners and residents promoting the re-development of downtown Buffalo. KSLN has heavily invested in the revitalization of Buffalo, with the Firm’s involvement in the purchase and restoration of the historic Calumet Building, which is now the Firm’s headquarters. Tom chairs the Chippewa Alliance’s Economic Development Committee.
Tom is also presently a member of the Board of Trustees of Shea’s O’Connell Preservation Guild, Ltd., whose mission is to restore and maintain the nationally renowned Shea’s Theatre. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the St. Thomas More Guild, Inc. He is also the past President and Board Member of the Buffalo Ski Club Area, where he is a professional ski instructor, certified by the Professional Ski Instructors of America in alpine and telemark skiing.
- B.A., Journalism, St. Michael’s (Vt.) College
- J.D., magna cum laude, Syracuse University College of Law
- Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee for the Defense Research Institute
- Vice President of the Board of Directors, Chippewa Alliance
- Member, Board of Trustees, Shea’s O’Connell Preservation Guild, Ltd.
- Member, Board of Directors, St. Thomas More Guild, Inc.
- Former Chair of the Erie County Bar Association’s Law Practice Management Committee
- Former Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Law Practice Management Committee
- Former Vice Chair of the American Bar Association’s Law Office Economics and Management Committee
- New York State Judicial Candidate Screening Committee
- Program Chair, New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting of the Committee on Law Practice Management
- New York State “Super Lawyer”
- Western New York “Legal Elite”
- Council on Litigation Management
- Erie County Bar Association
- International Amusement and Leisure Defense Association
- Monroe County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS)
- New York State and Pennsylvania State bars
- United States Bankruptcy Court
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Western District of New York